Other Resources

There are many other assistance programs available through various agencies. Please review the following to find information that applies to your needs. Links are provided when necessary to take you the appropriate web site where you will find additional information on the program.

Economic Development Administration (EDA) Investment Programs: Contact GPDI for assistance in completing an application for any of the following three EDA Investment Programs.

  • Economic Adjustment Assistance Program: The Economic Adjustment Program assists state and local interests to design and implement strategies to adjust or bring about change to an economy. The program focuses on areas that have experienced or are under threat of serious structural damage to the underlying economic base.
  • Research and National Technical Assistance: The Research and Technical Assistance Program supports research of leading edge, world class economic development practices as well as funds information dissemination efforts.
  • Local Technical Assistance: The Technical Assistance Program helps fill the knowledge and information gaps that may prevent leaders in the public and nonprofit sectors in distressed areas from making optimal decisions on local economic development issues.
  • U.S.D.A Rural Development Cooperative Services: The mission of Cooperative Services Program is to promote understanding and use of the cooperative form of business as a viable organizational option for marketing and distributing any products.

Click here for more information on this program.

U.S.D.A Rural Development Community Facilities Grant Program: Community Facilities Grants assist in the development of essential community facilities in rural areas and towns of up to 20,000 in population. Grants are authorized on a graduated scale. Applicants located in small communities with low populations and low incomes will receive a higher percentage of grants.

Grants are available to public entities such as municipalities, counties, and special-purpose districts, as well as non-profit corporations and tribal governments.

In addition, applicants must have the legal authority necessary for construction, operation, and maintenance of the proposed facility and also be unable to obtain needed funds from commercial sources at reasonable rates and terms. Click here for more information on this program.

U.S.D.A. Rural Development Water and Waste Disposal Loan and Grant Program: Water and Waste Disposal Loans and Grants are made to construct, extend, or improve water and waste disposal systems in rural areas and towns. Click here for more information on this program.

Rural Economic Development Loan Program: Provides zero-interest loans to electric and telephone utilities financed by the Utilities Program, an agency of the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA), to promote sustainable rural economic development and job creation projects.

The Utilities Program utility is required to re-lend, at zero-percent interest, the loan proceeds to an eligible “third-party recipient” for the purpose of financing job creation projects and sustainable economic development within rural areas. A rural area is any area of the United States not included within the boundaries of any urban area, as defined by the Bureau of the Census.

Third-party recipients must provide an irrevocable letter of credit to the utility, and may be private or public organizations having corporate and legal authority to incur debt. Click here for more information on this program.

Enterprise Zone (EZ): The Kansas EZ Act provides a business and job development tax credit and an exemption from sales tax for any Kansas taxpayer who invests in a qualified business facility and who hires a certain number of qualified employees as a direct result of that investment. There is no minimum amount of investment necessary to qualify; however, some investment must be made. Click here for more information on this program.

Kansas Industrial Training (KIT): The KIT program is designed to help new and expanding companies offset the costs of training workers for new jobs. Training funds can be used to reimburse negotiated costs for pre-employment, on-the-job, and/or classroom training. The maximum amount of assistance available under the program is $2,000 per trainee. Click here for more information on this program.

Kansas Industrial Retraining (KIR): For restructuring companies whose employees are likely to be displaced due to obsolete or inadequate job skills or knowledge. The maximum amount of assistance available under the program is $2,000 per trainee. Click here for more information on this program.

High Performance Incentive Program (HPIP): The HPIP provides an investment tax credit and other incentives to companies that pay above average wages and have a strong commitment to skills development for their workers. This program recognizes the need for Kansas companies to remain competitive through capital investment in facilities and technology and continued training and education for their employees. A substantial investment tax credit for new capital investment in Kansas is the primary benefit of this program. (Use Schedule K-59 to claim tax credits for investment and training.) Click here for more information on this program.

Kansas Economic Opportunity Initiative Fund (KEOIF): This financial aid is used to secure economic benefits and to avoid or remedy economic losses. Forgivable loans are available by application only and are dependent on the size of the project and level of local commitment. The city or county on behalf of the qualified business must submit the application. Click here for more information on this program.

Community Service Program: Through this program, the state annually authorizes selected non-profit organizations to offer tax credits to business donors making contributions for approved projects in three main categories: community service, crime prevention, and health care. Click here for more information on this program.

Property Tax Exemption: City and county governments may exempt all or portions of a business buildings, improvements, land, and tangible personal property from property tax for not more than ten years.


  • New businesses and existing businesses that are creating new jobs as a result of an addition or expansion. Property must be exclusively for manufacturing, conducting research and development, or storing goods that are sold or traded in interstate commerce.
  • A broader use of property tax exemptions may be granted for not more than ten years by the issuance of industrial revenue bonds (IRBs) for the purchase, construction, improvement or remodeling of a facility for agricultural, commercial, hospital, industrial, natural resources, recreational development, or manufacturing purposes (see K.S.A. 12-1741). A retail enterprise identified under the SIC codes 52-59, cannot qualify for exemption, unless the facility is used to house the headquarters or back office/ancillary support operations of the retail enterprise.


  • Up to 100 percent property tax exemption for not more than ten years.

Contact: Local City/County Governing Authority or Kansas Department of Commerce, Business Development Division, Phone: (785) 296-5298, Fax: (785) 296-3490, e-mail: busdev@kansascommerce.com

Inventory Property Tax Exemption: A property tax exemption exists for merchants and manufacturers inventory.

Eligibility: Inventory includes those items that:

  • are primarily held for sale in the ordinary course of business (finished goods);
  • are in process of production for sale (work in progress); or
  • are to be consumed either directly or indirectly in the production of finished goods (raw materials and supplies).


  • Items of inventory are exempt from property tax.

Contact: Taxpayer Assistance, Kansas Department of Revenue, Phone: (785) 368-8222, Web site: www.ksrevenue.org

Original Construction Sales Tax Exemption: A sales tax exemption exists for all services used in the original construction of a building or facility.

Eligibility: All businesses. Original construction is defined as:

  • The first or initial construction of a new building or facility;
  • The addition of an entire room or floor to an existing building or facility;
  • The restoration, reconstruction, or replacement of a building or facility damaged or destroyed by fire, flood, tornado, lightning, explosion, or earthquake;
  • The completion of any unfinished portion of an existing building or facility; or
  • The construction, reconstruction, restoration, replacement, or repair of a bridge or highway;
  • Since July 1, 1998 labor services for the installation of tangible personal property at any residence is also exempt.


  • Exemption from state and local sales tax.

Contact: Taxpayer Assistance, Kansas Department of Revenue, Phone: (785) 368-8222, Web site: www.ksrevenue.org

Kansas Partnership Fund: The Partnership Fund program provides loans to Kansas cities or counties for infrastructure improvements directly related to specific business projects creating new jobs and capital investment. Click here for more information on this program.

Industrial Revenue Bonds (IRBs): IRBs are a cost efficient method to finance up to 100 percent of a company’s land, buildings, and equipment. IRBs are securities issued by cities and counties to finance the purchase of land, pay the cost of constructing and equipping new facilities or purchase, remodel, or expand existing facilities.


  • Businesses qualifying for taxable and tax-exempt IRBs must be creditworthy;
  • Specific projects eligible for tax-exempt financing include manufacturing facilities, airports, docks and wharves, mass commuting facilities, certain facilities for furnishing water, sewage and solid waste disposal, qualified residential projects, local district heating and cooling facilities, facilities furnishing electricity or gas on a local basis, and certain hazardous waste disposal facilities;
  • Businesses qualifying for taxable IRBs must meet the broad guidelines outlined in K.S.A. 12-1740 et seq.


  • Tax-exempt IRBs allow holders an exemption from state and federal income tax, resulting in the cost to finance using IRBs to be two percent to 2.5 percent below conventional financing;
  • IRBs allow fixed rate financing for the life of the bond; adjustable rates may be negotiated;
  • Only equity requirement is the cost of the bond issuance;
  • Exemption from real and personal property taxation for up to ten years is allowed under Kansas law, whether the property is financed through tax-exempt or taxable IRBs, provided all procedural steps are followed.


  • Most bonds are structured over 15 years;
  • Principal repayment terms are flexible and can be structured to meet your company’s needs. The bonds are usually not callable before the third or fourth year;
  • IRBs can provide your company with up to $1 million of tax-exempt bonds for a project regardless of the company or project size;
  • A maximum of $10 million of tax-exempt IRBs can be issued for a manufacturing project;
  • A company may not have more than $40 million outstanding nationwide at any one time;
  • Taxable IRBs have no upper limit.

Contact: Local City or County Governing Authority